Translate

Friday, January 4, 2013

Using oatmeal in soap making

Each morning I wake up with a vision and then I step into my reality. Vision this morning was a dream of  soap bars made of oatmeal, honey and spices. The reality was gooey textured, low scented soap bars.

I made two batches using different bases but the same additives.  Batch one I used soybean oil only. I hot processed the soap using a crock pot. The soap traced beautifully.  I added castor oil, spices:cinnamon & fresh grounded cloves, and grounded oatmeal. The color is beautiful but very soft. I put it into a small Glad container to set.

 Batch two was made with palm oil, coconut oil and olive oil. I used the hot process method in the crockpot. The soap came to a beautiful trace. I added the same additives as batch one. The soap was very light and smelled like uncooked cookie dough. I put this in a Glad container to set.

In the morning I was hoping that things would be different but no luck. The darker soap made with soybean oil had a great smell, but remained soft with a low lather. The soap made with palm oil, coconut oil and olive oil was much harder, has a nice lather but smells like uncooked cookie dough.

Feeling disappointed I went online to search about scented soaps. I found a video that talked about fragrance. I liked how it was explained and decided to watch her next video which was a tutorial of the soap calculator. It was just what I needed. I am inspired to try another batch of soap. This time I will use the soap calculator and calculate the kind of soap I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment